Popular Posts

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Parenting Decisions

I have a few blogs I regularly read.  A month or so ago a woman posted about how she let her little girl read any books she wanted for the most part.  She even read To Kill a Mockingbird.  Her daughter was 9.  Then she went on about how she let her daughter read Harry Potter, but she was to scared to finish.  The mom then went on to say (of course after bragging about her daughters reading skills) how she refused to let her daughter read The Hunger Games.  This is what I pictured happening...

I'm all for parent censorship; especially when it comes to TV and the internet.  Then I think of books and wonder if they should be censored.  If I have read the book, I wouldn't stop my kids from reading it.  So if The Hunger Games and Harry Potter are still popular when my kids are older, they will read them.  But what about other books?  There are very few books I wouldn't let my kids read, probably consisting of anti-mormon books that are completely inaccurate, and romance novels.  For the life of me I can't see why they would ever read a romance novel.  I don't see where they would ever pick up an anti-mormon book.  So in my mind I'm really not censoring any books from them.  

Ever since that woman posted that story I haven't returned to her blog, I just think she's a little weird now.

I can't think of a book I would keep from them.  Is there a book you would keep from your kids?

1 comment:

  1. There are LOTS of books I wouldn't let my girls read. I think that most of the young-adult fiction is okay for kids 12 and older, but not all of it. And adult fiction... definitely not! To me it's like letting my child watch a triple X-rated movie--even if it's not specifically categorized as a "romance" novel. I'm for sure going to be one of those moms who censors books.

    ReplyDelete