Popular Posts

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Parenting Decision

I've decided to keep up 'Parenting Decision' because I like it.  So here is installment #2!

Josh and I are not paying for Michael's college.  Or any of our kids college (unless there are extenuating circumstances).  We would like to, but I don't see it happening. 

I got a free subscription to a parenting magazine a while ago.  Last month or so there were articles about saving money for your child's education.  It made it sound like parents were penny-pinching to send their child to college, and I'm talking rich parents with 1, maybe 2, children.  It pointed out that saving $25 a week equals $34,000 by babies 17th birthday.  That's only $1300 a year!  Of course then I think about the fact that $1300 is my rent and utilities for 2 months.  Or paying off Josh's car.  Or Michael's NICU bill.  Or better yet, almost providing the three of us food for an entire year!

I looked at these numbers and was stunned.  Then I realized the worst part, this doesn't account for the price of college tripling every decade, and that $25 a week now only pays for this:
Community College


$100 a week is what gets you this:
Private Colleges

With the price of college rising every semester I just don't see how anyone Michael's age will ever afford to go to college.  Maybe I'll hold out on the hope that college will eventually be free like it is in most of Europe!


No comments:

Post a Comment