Popular Posts

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Grown up names

Lately I've been thinking it's about time that I stop calling Michael, well, Michael.  We never intended to call him that.  We wanted him to have a name that had possible nicknames, which is why we never named him plain Mike.  Okay, that's not the only reason, his original name was Michael Scott Crump....but in the end I couldn't do that to him.  Despite being named after our most beloved television character we never thought of calling him Michael.  It was always Mike.

Then he was born.

Somewhere between the birth certificate, discharge papers, baby blessing, doctors appointments, and insurance changes, he became Michael out of habit.  Everywhere I turned someone needed his full legal name.
Does this really look like a Michael?  Sorry he looks a little drunk
I decided to try calling him Mike and he at least responded to it, along with his other nicknames like stinker and poopers.  But it felt weird.  It sounded old.  My sister calls him Mikey and that sounds younger to me, so maybe I should try it first.  If I do I will again be stuck in this position of having to call him by the more grown up name, Mike.

It seems so weird to me that I've always wanted him to be Mike and yet I just can't call him that naturally.  It's even weirder because I like the name Mike, but not so much the name Michael.  So why do I call my son that??  I'm thinking by 18 months I need to start calling him Mike or Mikey, but the Michael needs to go.  I just hope the awkwardness of it goes away quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment