Popular Posts

Sunday, April 29, 2012

TMI blog!

This post should probably just be read by the ladies :)

Yesterday Josh and I realized Michael needed some more diapers.  I remembered I had a coupon for them and made sure to grab it.  We ended up going to Sams Club.  I didn't think they took coupons, but it was worth a shot.  So we headed over to the diaper isle.  To show my failed attempt at breastfeeding I also had to get tampons.  Now here's the problem; I felt like I would have some crazy mom come up and say I was horrible for not breastfeeding him, even though I still am.  This fear stems back to when Michael was two weeks old.  I got new visiting teachers around that time.  They came over one night, one of them brought her 1 1/2 year old daughter.  One of the first questions she asked was if I was breastfeeding.  I told her I was but it wasn't working out because Michael had to have a bottle in the NICU.  Anyways she continued on and on about how beautiful breastfeeding was, how it's the only way to take care of your baby.  You probably know the type.  I wanted to scream 'take your toddler, and go back to your co-sleeper'!

Anyways...I was mortified of women, no, moms, giving me weird looks because usually tampons are associated with not breastfeeding, even though I still am.  So off I go to get diapers when Josh says loudly "are you going to get tampons?"  Yep, right in the diaper isle.  I don't blame him, I haven't needed them since we've been married, so he doesn't understand not to say anything. 

So I get the diapers and the tampons and get in line.  I put my coupon down on the box of diapers.  The guy ringing us up didn't give a second look at the tampons (exactly why I went to a guy cashier) but looked at the coupon for a minute.  He leaned way over and said nicely' "we don't accept coupons."  You know the way someone says something to you when they are trying not to embarrass you?  Anyways, I didn't really care about that to begin with!  I was happy to get out of there without some crazy mom jumping down my throat. 

When we got in the car I realized something, apparently coupons are now a bad thing.  Why?  I'll admit I've never seen Extreme Couponing, or any other shows like that, but I know there can be a bad stigma about them.  I wondered why that guy had to lean over and act like he was embarrassing us.  So apparently trying to save a little is now considered being cheap?  When did this happen?  Maybe it's a sign that the recession is over!

2 comments:

  1. Kim, you must have been traumatized by that visiting teacher, because you're worrying WAY too much about what people think. Lots of women who breastfeed start their periods, and even if you didn't breastfeed...who really cares? As long and you and Josh are okay about a decision about Michael, no one else's opinions should matter. :)

    And I don't think using coupons is out of style. I've done something like that before at Costco... I think that cashier was just being a stuck-up, private club grocer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so sorry that someone made you feel that way. There really is so much pressure and judement that goes one when it comes to breastfeeding and when some women can't they're made to feel even worse by others who say they're bad mothers because of it and it makes me sad. I've thought about this before because I'm going to adopt, so obviously, I'm not going to be breastfeeding, so I'm kind of afraid people who don't know I adopted will judge me because I'm not breast feeding. Oh well, such is life, ha ha.

    also, I think coupons are the best.

    ReplyDelete