Popular Posts

Monday, April 23, 2012

Parenting Decisions



I think this came up between Josh and I when Michael was moseying around in my stomach.  We came to the decision that Michael will go to private schools.

Before you think I'm crazy, let me explain myself.  I went to an advanced middle school and liked it better than high school.  I went to my public high school for two reasons: lacrosse and I had no way to get twenty miles across town.  My high school was nice, but I had to fight to get into advanced classes.  I was a year ahead in English, meaning that my senior year I had to get really creative or else I wouldn't graduate on account of not having completed enough English credit requirements (I know, really??  It's not like I failed a class).

We also think private schools are better (besides the snobbish air that we are hoping isn't quite so bad in Utah).  The classes move a little faster, the teachers are usually better, and they always have higher ACT or SAT scores. 

No matter how many kids we have, Josh and I will send Michael to a private school for sure.  We also might only send Michael.  Now you can say he is getting special treatment, but there is some reasoning behind this.  Naturally Michael will be a little more advanced than the average child.  He usually has my undivided attention (to the detriment of my grades...), and a decent portion of Josh's.  I''m not saying other children won't be as smart as Michael, what I'm saying is that Michael will hit milestones before the others (like reading, Michael will probably read 6+ months before the average age).  Why not let him have that advantage?

What about the rest of our kids?....We haven't decided.  It really depends on the child.

1 comment:

  1. I've thought about private schools or charter schools for out kids too! This lady at my work has her daughter in a charter school and always goes on and on about how awesome it is. I mean, why not let your kids get ahead, right?

    ReplyDelete