Popular Posts

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Samantha Brick in us all

If you haven't seen this on the news (which in my case in yahoo news) it's pretty entertaining.  Samantha Brick is a reporter in England who wrote about women hating her for being so pretty.  Actually she said she wasn't all that pretty but she has the requirements for being pretty: she's tall, slender, and blond.  Anyways she goes on to say that she isn't a flirt, but her married friends drop her (maybe delete her from facebook?) if their husbands talk to her. 

As you can imagine, the backlash was HUGE!  A lot of comments came in saying she wasn't pretty.  More came in saying she lost her friends because of her huge ego.  While I was reading the article, and other related articles about her, I actually understood what she was saying.

IN NO WAY AM I SAYING I'M TOO BEAUTIFUL FOR ANYTHING!

I'm simply saying I understand where she was coming from.  Girls and women are jealous.  It's hard not to be.  No one around me is a model, and yet sometimes I feel surrounded in a sea of the prettiest women alive and I'm the ugly duckling.  In fact - like Samantha said women do to her - I will snub women if they are obviously prettier than me.  Not always, but sometimes. 

In high school I became good friends with a girl named Quincey.  She was (still is!) gorgeous!  Tall and skinny, with long hair that curled so well it looked natural like a movie stars.  She was also a cheerleader at one point....but that isn't exactly pertinent.  Anyways, she was the nicest person I've ever met.  There were days I was angry that she was so pretty, but she was so sweet that I could never stay mad at her.  I didn't snub her and I'm glad I didn't!  She was my best friend senior year, she was even going to be one of my bridesmaids, but I moved my wedding date and she was going to be out of town. 

The whole point of this is that sometimes I feel like the only person who EVER feels this way.  I get annoyed that everyone seems so gorgeous and perfect.  Than I think bad thoughts about them.  Then I feel guilty.  Now Samantha wasn't saying she felt this way about people, but she said people did feel this way about her.  Also the comments from people who said she wasn't pretty made me realize I'm not the only one thinking mean things about other woman....for no reason besides their looks. 

It's a little sad that it is this way, but I can't imagine life without some jealousy.  Jealousy sometimes pushes me to do things I never would have done, but those things are few in number.  Eventually I hope to become a little less jealous.  Hey, maybe I'll even start to feel like Samantha! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment