Popular Posts

Monday, July 30, 2012

Interesting new trend

Lately I've noticed ad companies using new tactics that most people find very forward thinking.  I like to think of them as emotional ads.  Like this one using a down syndrome little girl.

Also the P&G commercials that talk about moms being behind every olympic athlete.  Doesn't a part of you want to say 'aww'?

While I love the idea that the world is in some ways progressing by using something other than perfect models to sell things I find it all a little fishy.  All of these emotional ads seem to be a clever way to tug at your heart strings, even if for just a second.  Maybe ad firms finally realized that hitting the emotional button on a woman works a lot better then seeing fancy cars and bikinis (ad firms finally realized that woman spend more then men).  I think it's great to see a cute little girl with down syndrome be on an ad (an ad other then one telling you to donate money to some charity) but I'm a little nervous about this tactic.  Will commercials, magazines, and billboards soon be covered in tearjerking images?  Will I constantly feel the urge to cry (which isn't very hard these days) everywhere I turn?  Isn't this worse than what has been on the media for years?  Fabio brought laughs, these bring an emotional roller-coaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment