Popular Posts

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Week's Worth of Groceries

Have any of you seen this picture on pintrest before?


Sorry I can't make it any bigger, but here's a link.  It really interested me to see what some of these cultures eat and drink.  I laughed when I got to Germany and saw all of that beer.  When I saw Japan I thought maybe most of that bagged stuff was tofu, but that would be a lot of tofu.  I expected to see more of...well anything from France.  I pictured more bread and wine.

So I thought I'd compare my week with the week from the US.  The only thing I left out is 2-3 meals out a week for Josh or the kids and I (since we rarely go out together).  

Yes, I know that's a lot of tomatoes, I'm making homemade tomato sauce.  

What's funny is that Elli's portion is the smallest and probably the most expensive, but I'll blame that on the formula.  See the bananas, apples, and grapes?  Well if you picture that with the whole milk, half the eggs, half the cheese, and the bread, you have Michael's food for the week.  You might think I'm joking, but I'm not.  That fruit might not even last the whole week with him.  

Originally I was going to write this post to say that I don't think these pictures are really accurate.  Then I realized they probably are.  If you look at the US family, take away the pizzas, chips, and soda, and then add a couple fast food meals to my picture they look similar.  I don't have as much food as they do, but my kids are just that: kids.  They are not teenage boys.  When Michael is a teenager half of my table will be devoted to him, and I'll need a much bigger table.  

Anyone else want to do this and see if they don't fit the stereotype?

No comments:

Post a Comment