Popular Posts

Monday, November 14, 2011

The Saga Begins...

Michael Paul Crump was born 11/12/11 at 6:42 pm, 5 lb 14 oz and 18.5" long!

On Saturday morning I started having a few small contractions, nothing out of the usual.  Within an hour they were 3 minutes apart and made me double over in pain.  At that point Josh came home from work and got our stuff ready for the hospital.  A little after noon we checked in and started getting ready for our little guy!  The first measurements showed that I was 3cm dilated.  They hooked me up to all of the machines to monitor Michael and my contractions.  After a half hour they decided I was definitely in labor.  Another half hour after that I was 4cm and starting to really feel the pain.  Within the next two hours my parents and sister showed up (my little niece came as well but she was too young to come see me).  After they heard my "breathing" they all told me to get an epidural.  I gave in and I'm glad I did!  The nurse expected me to be at 6cm after those two hours, but I was at 9.  Things moved pretty fast after that! An hour later the doctor had me start pushing, the first push broke my water.  My poor mom, who was standing about five feet away, might have gotten hit.  I pushed for another twenty minutes and he had crowned.  The nurse then called the doctor...who happened to be at home and not in the hospital.  I was told to stop pushing and the nurse tried to hold the little guy in.  Well without pushing Michael came out on his own, and was delivered by the nurse!

Little Michael wasn't crying when he slipped out.  The doctors grabbed him and started pumping oxygen into him.  The doctors assumed he wasn't breathing because he had his hand up under his neck when he was born, but they don't know for sure.  Our little boy was whisked away to the NICU soon after. 
About an hour before his birth.  The nurse in the background actually delivered Michael.

Josh was able to take a few pictures of Michael before they put the oxygen tubes and IV's in him.

It was a little frustrating not being able to hold my baby.  In fact I was tempted to storm to the NICU...but I couldn't walk for about two hours after his birth.  When our little boy was three hours old I finally got to see and hold him!  To all of the parents who have the luxury of sending their baby to the nursery at night, count your blessings.  Josh and I would get a call every three hours to walk down to the NICU to try to feed our little guy...who was pretty upset by everything that was going on around him.  The doctor eventually told us what was going on with him.  He had somehow gotten an infection, however no one really knows how.  His blood sugar was low - possibly because he was so small.  His breathing was still pretty irregular - this was eventually attributed to acid reflux.  He was put on medicine for that and antibiotics for his infection.  It took a few days but our little guy finally got better.  He was discharged last Thursday, when he was 5 days old.  He was sent home with oxygen, but he's home!




His head was smaller than my palm!




His going home outfit!  A newborn size and it was still too big

He didn't like the car seat at all :( poor little boy! Luckily we live down the street from the hospital

No comments:

Post a Comment