Popular Posts

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Why I HATE Valentines

I can easily admit that this is my least favorite holiday.  It has been for years, but the last few it has become even worse.  This year I told Josh we weren't celebrating Valentines at all.  Of course he was fine with that.  I just can't get over this holiday, so I'm venting a little.

I understand it's nice to get presents.  I understand wanting to talk about them.  But I hate how every woman posts pictures online with notes about how they have the best husband/boyfriend ever.  I hate these posts because two days ago these same people were complaining about how horrible their husbands/boyfriends are.  I hate that it seems to be a competition.  I hate that love seems to be associated with the amount of money spent on presents.

I also hate the holiday because most men seem to think they can buy you flowers, chocolates, jewelry, and dress up for dinner one night and be set for the year.  What I love is walking into the kitchen on a random day and finding flowers because Josh knew I had a hard day, or he just wanted me to know he loves me.  There's no way he is getting off the hook just because he bought me chocolate some freezing cold day in February. 

While this reason doesn't affect me yet, it will in about 3 years.  Schools put such a big emphasis on it, meaning I will end up doing extra work for it.  I'll be buying stupid valentines for our kids to pass out.  I'll be making a box that will be thrown out as soon as it comes through the door, but it has to be somewhat cool so I can't just give them an empty tissue box.  Lastly I'll end up dealing with my kids pumped up with sugar on a holiday that isn't Halloween. 

Overall I'm done with this holiday.  I enjoyed not celebrating it this year, and I don't think we will again.  If you like this holiday please laugh at my reasons for hating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment