Popular Posts

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Birth Story

Friday morning I went in to my OB exam hoping I would be told I was dilated more and couldn't be sent home.  I was told I was 4cm.  It was kinda heartbreaking at that point.  My doctor went on ahead and stripped my membranes for me.  I was sent home with a 50% of having a baby within 24 hours.  We got home around 9:15am.

Josh had class so off he went to the U.  At 11 I started having contractions that were actually painful.  For the last month I've had contractions every day, but they weren't painful.  Josh left class and we got to the hospital at 12:15.

When I first got there I was 7cm already.  FINALLY!  I was moved back to a LDR.  My doctor came in and offered to break my water at that point.  I decided to wait a little longer and see what was going to happen.  At that point I wasn't talking through contractions but I was able to breathe through them just fine.  After an hour they checked me again and found out I was still a 7.  At that point I gave up my plans for a natural birth.  I was still breathing through contractions but I was starting to get really tired.  Then comes the epidural.

So the epidural worked on one side of me really well, the other side it made my leg go to sleep, but I could feel the pressure from the hips up.  Once my legs were asleep they checked me again and I was at a 9.  My doctor went ahead and broke my water since it wasn't looking like it would break on its own.  I still felt the pressure in my leg despite trying to move or increase the dosage of the epidural.  After twenty minutes the pressure wasn't going away and I knew it was time to push.  The doctor came in and I started pushing.  I pushed 3 times during one contraction and out came a cute little girl!


Now came the interesting part.  With Michael I had a bad placenta.  I don't know what exactly was wrong with it but it just sucked.  It was constantly trying to come out, which was why I bled through pregnancy.  I had the opposite problem with this placenta, it wouldn't come out!  After twenty minutes the doctor finally had to put her whole hand up there and rip the placenta out.  It sounds painful right?  Well it is!!  It hurt worse than labor.  Labor was a joy compared to this.  Thankfully it was done in a couple of minutes.

Overall my labor was short and sweet, minus the afterbirth.  Josh and I were joking that we will need to move next to a hospital before we have any more children!

About one day old

My favorite people in the world!

1 comment: